Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Update On My Mom

The biopsy went fine - Mom tolerated it without any problems.  We won't know the results until probably Friday.  The radiologist did tell Mom that there were 3 enlarged lymph nodes, not just one, and he biopsied all 3.  He also said he noticed some "nodules" in her stomach on the CT Scan but didn't give her any further info on that.

All in all, Mom is hanging in there.  The initial shock has worn off.  I've been very frank and open with my Mom about the probability that this is lymphoma.  As a nurse and a daughter, I couldn't lie to her.  The hardest part was being frank and open with my Dad.  He came over last night and we had a long talk.  I explained what I know about lymphoma and what the possible treatments and prognosis were.  It was hard but necessary.  I explained to Daddy that Mom needed positive attitudes and encouragement right now - crying every time we look at her is just not an option at this point.  It also gave me a chance to remind Daddy that now was not the time to harp on Mom about smoking.  I told him that if smoking was the only thing that relieved her stress and gave her comfort, then he had best be going to the store and load up on smokes for her.  That actually got a laugh out of him.

I have also been really pushing them to take their planned trip to Alaska for their 50th wedding anniversary. They have had this cruise planned for almost a year and are scheduled to leave on August 19th.  In my heart, I know that this trip is something that they both will need with the potential treatments coming up in the next few weeks. Besides, it will give me some quality time with my baby sister - their dog "Bella" who I am babysitting while they are gone.

It's funny - for the first time in a long time, I felt like an adult.  I was the comforter instead of being the comfortee.  No matter how hard this is or how much it hurts, I have got to stay in control and be the shoulder for my parents.  They have always been there for me and it's time for me to return the favor. 

When Mom called me with the news last week, I just completely lost it when I hung up the phone.  Out loud I asked God if this was why He had brought me "home" to my parents.  I almost fainted when I heard the word "Yes" loud and clear, as if He was standing right beside me.

The most important thing I can do right now is pray.  I had a prayer chain going yesterday timed to start at the time of the biopsy.  I spent that time on my knees reading the "Prayers for the Sick" in my little Book of Common Prayer.  I've learned over that past 18 months that just reading the words doesn't bring the message to life so I said my prayers out loud while tears streamed down my face.  It really did make me feel better.

So that's the update for now.  I'll post another update when we get the official word. Just keep my Mom in your prayers.

God Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment