Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, New Books

I've always been a "reader".  Give me a good book and I'm just a happy camper.  With limited finances, I haven't been able to go out and buy books like the "old days" with TheColdOne.  But there is the Library.  If you don't have a library card - go get one.  If you don't know where your library is - mapquest it.  It will be one of the greatest things that you can do for yourself.

Most libraries have a webpage where you can check the availability of specific books and put a hold on them.  My library sends emails to let me know when something that I've put a hold on is available for pickup. If I'm listening to the radio and a book is mentioned, I jot down the name.  When I have available computer time, I search for the availability and then put a hold on it.  Another great thing - you can extend your check-in date using the webpage so the risk for overdue book fees is minimal.

There are 2 books that I recommend you go out and buy for your own personal library.  The reason I recommend purchasing these books is both of them have added journal features so you can write in the book whatever inspiration hits you.  You can check them out at the library but there is a greater impact if you have them available in your home at all times.

The first one is "A Purpose Driven Life" by Pastor Rick Warren.  The first time I heard about this book I thought it was another one of those self-help books.  Well it's not.  This is the first book that I have ever read that taught me how to focus on me and on God's love and plan for me.  Highly personal and tear provoking at times.  The setup of the book is perfect - a chapter a day for 40 days.  Believe me - it will make a difference. I've included a link to The Purpose Driven website in the sidebar as there are many free tools you can sign up for and even a daily email devotional.

The second book is by someone that I have truly come to admire.  "Praying God's Word" is by Beth Moore.  If you've never heard of Beth Moore, you are truly missing out on a miracle.  I was introduced to her writings and teaching in a Woman's Bible Study at church.  It was a video course so of course there was no personal interaction with her but she made it feel personal.  Simple language - easy to understand - easy to follow.  Beth Moore will certainly push you to look deeper into yourself.  "Praying God's Word" is just what it says - prayers.  Except Beth has broken down the prayers into specific topics and used scripture to develop the prayer.  Prayers include Overcoming Depression, Overcoming Unforgiveness,  Overcoming Deception and so on.  Even if you are not going through a personal crisis, this book will keep your mind and heart focused.  I can't recommend Beth Moore's books enough.  I've included a link to her Living Proof Ministries in the sidebar.

So start reading and start believing.  It's a great way to start the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment